→→→→→→→→→ tinder profile ←←←←←←←←←


The other day, I met a Ph.D. student in Public Policy, from some university at Berlin, doing a research stay at the University of Tokyo.

At this moment, I'm not sure if it was a date or not –but that's ultimately irrelevant for what I want to say. He invited me to a conference about a comparative study between Gone Girl, Hitchcock's Vertigo and their relationship with a Shakespeare's play which name I cannot recall. (So hot, right?) Then we talked a bit about our life adventures on the train until our stop. (So hot.)

His perspective on the aging society –more than 20% of the population over 65 in the case of Japan– is that, while it is normally addressed as a problematic situation, in reality it is just a natural outcome of living in a rich country that provides its citizens a good quality of life. Higher life expectancy, later marriage, smaller households, those are all consequences of the privilege of having a proper healthcare system and a fair education level (let’s not say it’s completely adequate, but the literacy rate in Japan is the second highest in the world).

[The following nonsense is mine.]

Something connected within myself.

I’m sure one of his thesis’ goals is not to give hope to the 35-year-old single women that still don’t see themselves with a partner… But I figured that if I was supposed to live until 86, then I had more time to settle down, and more time to find someone, and more time to raise a kid, even if I can’t give birth to him/her.

At the same time, I feel that I’m thinking backwards, and this wouldn’t be the first time, cause it could be just a rationalization that is blocking the fact that I’m freaking out with the reality of getting older, and less attractive…

But what if, in ten years, 45 is the new 35 and then I’m satisfied with my career, and then I’m financially stable, and –most of all– sufficiently certain to offer a life to another human being?

What if, on top of everything, I don’t have to go crazy about finding someone, when I couldn’t care less in the actual state of things?

Because... this is the statement that I want to make today: I am 35 years old, probably going against nature, and throwing away the last years of hotness left in this nice body of mine, but I’m not looking for anything serious. Yes, I want to have sex regularly safely in hygienic conditions, with someone who is intellectually compatible and aesthetically pleasing. But I’m not looking for a husband.

Comments

Popular Posts